Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Introduction

It is my firm belief that there is too much bad design in the world today. Some of it is produced by people with no formal training; some of it is produced by designers who either don't know better or simply do not care; some of it is produced by talented people but are burdened by micromanagers and clients who simply refuse to let designers design.

I fall into the last category. My last position was with an automotive dealership as a graphic & web designer. Dealership ads are, as I have heard everywhere, are the worst forms of design. While I tried to bring a classic, organized look to the advertising I produced (which fit with the look of the dealership) I was hindered by my boss' incessant need to eliminate white space, fill areas with wide swashes of bright yellows and reds and use only one typeface - Arial - for all advertising.

My goal with this blog - without sounding pompous or harsh - is to examine graphic design from a variety of sources and, where possible, present a better designed result along with an exploration into the process.

I feel this will generate a two-fold result: first, to educate and inform; second - and most important - it will sharpen my skills and improve my abilities, both in critical thinking and technical proficiency.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. While I surfing the internet I found many bad designs, I think it is due to the lack of formal training for the designer who either does not know better or simply does not care.
    Si-r-usdesign - graphic design studio,graphic arts design, graphic design atlanta

    ReplyDelete